Most people adapt quickly to donating blood, however if you feel faint we advise you to:
- drink plenty of fluids and have a salty snack
- eat your normal, regular meals
- avoid hot rooms and hot showers/baths
- avoid vigorous exercise or rushing about
- avoid standing for long periods
If you feel unwell:
- tell someone, either a friend or family member, if possible, and ask them to keep an eye on you
- lie down and raise your legs if you can.
- get up slowly when you feel well enough, and drink plenty of fluids
To reduce the chance of you feeling unwell at your next donation:
- on the day of donation and the evening before, drink plenty of fluids and eat normally, but avoid alcohol. as this will dehydrate you
- drink the full 500ml of water that you are asked to drink before you give blood - this reduces the chance of fainting
- ask staff to remind you about the applied muscle tension exercises
- tell staff about your previous experience of feeling faint or fainting.
If you are worried or require further information, call our donor helpline on 0300 123 23 23