Who can give blood
Most people can give blood. You can give blood if you:
- are fit and healthy
- weigh between 7 stone 12 lbs and 25 stone, or 50kg and 160kg
- are aged between 17 and 66 (or 70 if you have given blood before)
- are over 70 and have given blood in the last two years
How often can I give blood?
Men can give blood every 12 weeks and women can give blood every 16 weeks. Find out more about what happens on the day of your donation.
Check you are able to give blood
You can check some of the most common eligibility questions we receive from blood donors.
If you have a health condition, have travelled out of the country recently, or if you answer "yes" to any question on your Donor Health Check questionnaire, please call 0300 123 23 23 or check the health & eligibility or travel section for further advice about whether this affects you donating blood.
You can register here as a blood donor.
The common reasons donors should check if they can give blood are:
- if you are receiving medical or hospital treatment
- if you are taking medication
- after travelling outside of the UK
- after having a tattoo or piercing
- during and after pregnancy
- if you feel ill
- if you have cancer
- after receiving blood, blood products or organs.
If you have any questions then contact us by completing a web form or call us on 0300 123 23 23.
Male and female donors
Men often make ideal donors because:
- men’s additional body weight means they have suitable iron levels
- they are less likely than women to carry certain immune cells meaning their plasma is more widely usable for transfusions
- their platelet count is typically higher meaning they are more likely to be accepted as platelet donors.
If you are a woman under 20 and you weigh under 10st 3lb or 65kg or are under 5' 6" or 168cm tall you will need to estimate your blood volume to see if you can give blood. If your weight lies between two of the values shown, please use the nearest lower weight.
Alternatively download our reference sheet here
We must make sure it is safe for people to give blood and for patients to receive donated blood. Blood safety information is below: