Over-volume Donation - Information for Donors
Very rarely, the volume of blood donated is more than the 470ml (just about a pint) that we usually collect. It is very unlikely that the donor will suffer any adverse reaction, however, to minimise any ill effects, the advice below should be followed for the remainder of the day:
- Drink plenty of fluids and have a salty snack.
- Eat your normal, regular meals.
- Avoid hot rooms and hot showers/baths.
- Avoid vigorous exercise or rushing about.
- Avoid standing for long periods.
If you do feel unwell:
- Tell someone if possible (a family member or a friend) and ask them to keep an eye on you.
- Lie down and if possible raise your legs. Get up slowly when you feel well enough, and make sure you have drunk at least 1 litre of fluid.
If you are worried or require further information you can obtain advice by ringing our donor helpline on 0300 123 23 23